Heat Mirror® Film Technology Offered Exclusively in Vinyl Windows in the USA by Freedom Windows
Windows that insulate like walls!
“Windows have been traditionally overlooked in the energy efficiency discussion, when in fact, they are low-hanging fruit that can make a real impact today,” stated Dennis Capovilla, Southwall’s president and CEO. “Increasing customer demand to save energy and reduce carbon emissions is driving the need for a new generation of windows that are proven, available, and insulate like walls. That’s what Heat Mirror technology enables – walls that you can see through.”
Heat Mirror® is an extremely high performing, energy efficient glass system which dramatically improves thermal insulation and indoor comfort compared to standard insulating glass (IG) units. The technology suspends up to three films in the airspace of a single insulating glass unit to create multiple airtight chambers that deliver best-in-class insulation performance for windows. Standard insulating glass with low-e coatings delivers a thermal insulating performance of R-3 while Heat Mirror® insulating glass can achieve an R-values up to 10!
About Heat Mirror® Suspended Film Technology
Heat Mirror insulating glass is a superior multi-cavity solution that suspends one or more low-emissivity and solar-reflective Heat Mirror films inside of an insulating glass unit to create two, three or even four insulating cavities without adding weight.
This innovative approach enables window fabricators to offer higher performance glass options for their existing window systems today as well as for next-generation window systems in development. Heat Mirror suspended film technology combines the best of film-based and glass-based technologies to create the industry’s first “super glass” with center-of-glass insulating performance ranging from R-7 to R-10 while minimizing solar heat gain and blocking UV radiation.
Key Heat Mirror® attributes
- Heat Mirror® IG provides center-of-glass insulation performance ranging from R-7 to R-10
- Offers superior winter heating and summer cooling due to its multicavity design
- Blocks 99.5% of harmful UV rays
- Reduces condensation buildup on glass during winter
- Weighs about 33% less than triple-pane glass
- Heat Mirror® glass system
- Recognized by Popular Science as one of the “100 Best Inventions of the Millennium”
- 2017 ENERGY STAR in their “Most Efficient” window category
- Certified by Passive House Institute US